Wednesday 16 April 2014

Ontario 2014

I decided to start this blog because I wanted to pass along what I think is hard earned wisdom from 2 failed runs for office in the last 2 elections.

I ran for office in 2006 in a mid sized southern Ontario town and lost quite badly, it wasn't until the last few weeks that I realized how completely outmatched I was. With a solid career of over 20 years in business and marketing, I thought I was prepared for a political campaign but I learned that there is much more sophistication than I had previously believed.

In preparation for 2010, I went on a search for the best campaigners money could buy. I hired an experienced campaign manager and contracted out a "voter contact" company to do calls, surveys and outreach for me. We had a very professional website, social media effort and spent a considerable amount of money on getting out our vote. I lost again by a similar amount despite all the effort and money that went in to that "professional" campaign.

This blog will document the the campaign of 2010, what has happened since, and it is my hope to serve as a watchdog of sorts to current candidates to avoid the pitfalls I made.

No comments:

Post a Comment